These edible rice paper sails will elevate any cake and are so fun to create! Lag Ba’Omer treats are always challenging because bonfire is basically the only way to go…;) So after years of doing the classic bonfire cupcake, I wanted to try something new.
Follow along and make these Bonfire rice paper sails with me, or color them any way you’d like and they are the perfect cake decoration for any occasion!
What are rice paper sails?
Rice paper sails are an edible treat that can be used to decorate cakes and desserts. Using rice paper and food coloring you can create almost any design and elevate any cake.
Why the bonfire?
Lag Ba’Omer is a day off celebration during the mourning period of Sefriat Ha’Omer, the 7 weeks between Passover and Shavuot. On the 33rd day, the laws of semi mourning end and we begin to celebrate.
How to make edible rice paper cake decorations?
This technique is SO simple, but the results are super impressive!
Basically, when you wet rice paper it becomes soft and pliable and you can shape it as you wish. Then when it dries it hardens into that shape. The wetter it is, the longer it takes to dry, which is why I don’t recommend dipping the whole sheet into water, but rather brushing water onto the sheet.
Follow these easy steps for your own edible rice paper sails:
- Mix food coloring with water.
- Brush coloured water onto rice paper.
- Let it sit for a few minutes until the paper is very wet.
- Form the rice paper into the desired shape.
- Let dry.
How to store these rice paper decorations?
These cake decorations stay good for up to two weeks, so they are perfect for making in advance. You can make these and store them at room temperature until you’re ready to serve the cake. I recommend decorating the cake with the rice paper right before serving.
Love this recipe? Try some of this:
Did you try this recipe?
I LOVE to hear what you think of my recipes! It would mean so much to me if you could rate this recipe below and leave a comment or share with your friends ❤ Thanks for being here!
Rice Paper Sails
- Small paint brushes, used for food only
- 5 sheets rice paper circle or square
- 1 drop red gel food coloring
- 1 drop orange gel food coloring
- 1 drop yellow gel food coloring
- In 3 small bowls, mix each of the food coloring colors with some water, until you get the color you like, the less water, the darker the color.
- Paint each piece of rice paper as desired, get creative and have fun!
- Let sit for 5 mintues, when the rice paper feels wet shape it any way that you'd like. I did it in flame shapes.
- Take a toothpick and wrap it in the bottom of the rice paper sail, so that when it dries the rice paper will be "holding" the toothpick.
- Let the sails dry on parchment paper on the counter for 4-6 hours or overnight, until they are completely dried.
- Decorate your cake!