This super moist honey cake recipe is made with olive oil and topped with a creamy honey buttercream. Perfect for Rosh Hashanah and all year round!
Why do we eat honey cake on Rosh Hashanah?
On Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish new year, we wish each other a Shana Tova U’Metuka – Happy and Sweet New year. It is a custom to eat honey cake on Rosh Hashanah to symbolize the “sweet” new year!
Honey Cake for Yom Kippur
We enjoy honey cake on Rosh Hashanah. In addition, our family has a tradition to ask for “lekach“or honey cake on the day before Yom Kippur. My father would come home from shul with honey cake and we would each come to him and ask “give me lekach” and he would give us a piece of cake and bless us: “May this be the only thing you will need to ask for this year”.
Olive oil Honey Cake with Honey Buttercream
What ingredients are in this honey cake recipe?
Gather these basic ingredients for your honey cake!
- Brown sugar
- Olive oil
- Baking powder
How do you make honey cake?
It is so easy to make this honey cake! Just follow these simple steps:
- First, beat the sugars and eggs.
- After that, add the honey, oil and applesauce.
- Next, fold in the dry ingredients.
How long does honey cake stay fresh?
Due to the honey, this cake stays fresh longer than most cakes. Honey has preservative qualities that ensure the cake stays fresh and moist at room temperature for at least a week.
Does honey cake need to be refrigerated?
Honey cake doesn’t need to be refrigerated. The cold fridge actually removes the moisture from the cake. Therefore it is best to keep it at room temperature.
How to store honey cake?
It is ideal to store this cake at room temperature. Wrap tightly in cling wrap and store in a ziplock bag and as a result the cake will stay fresh.
Can you freeze this cake?
Yes, this cake freezes beautifully, having said that I recommend you freeze this cake without the frosting. Wrap the cake well in cling wrap and freeze in a ziploac bag.
Love this recipe? Try these other easy recipes:
In addition, try this Apple and Honey Galette, which is perfect for Rosh Hashanah.
Did you try this recipe?
I LOVE to hear what you think of my recipes! It would mean so much to me if you could rate this recipe below and leave a comment or share with your friends ❤ Thanks for being here!
Olive Oil Honey Cake
- Loaf Pan
- 2 L eggs
- ½ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup honey
- ¾ cup olive oil
- ½ cup applesauce
- 1 ¾ cup flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F and line a loaf pan with parchment paper, set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer beat the eggs and sugars.
- Add honey, olive oil and applesauce and beat for 1 minute.
- Fold in the flour, cinnamon, salt and baking powder with a spatula.
- Pour the batter into prepared loaf pan and bake for about 45-55 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the cake.
- Let cake cool completely.
- Dust with confectioners sugar or frost with honey buttercream recipe.