Made in 5 minutes, with just a few pantry staples, this Brownie in a mug recipe is going to be your new go to midnight (or any time!) snack.
Ever get that chocolaty, fudgy craving late at night? Or after dinner when all the dishes are done and you don’t want to make a mess? Not just me? Enter this Mug Brownie. The perfect solution to all your snacking needs. Here I’ll show you step by step how to make a brownie in a mug.
What is a brownie in a mug?
A brownie in a mug is a single serving brownie treat, made directly in a mug.
It is a great solution for when you want a brownie, but don’t want to bake a whole batch of brownies.
You do not need to bake a brownie in a mug in the oven. Using a regular coffee mug you can make a real brownie in the microwave!
Another benefit of a brownie in a mug is that the whole recipe is made directly in the mug so there is very minimal clean up.
Why you should make this Brownie in a Mug:
There are so many instances in my life when I need some chocolate. You know? These days, during quarantine, even more than normal.
But sometimes, baking is just too much of a production (and a mess). That’s when I make one of these Brownies in a mug. Gather the few basic ingredients in a mug and you’re 1 minute away from all your brownie dreams.
The only dishes you’ll have to wash from making this recipe are a 1 Tablespoon measuring spoon, a fork and a mug!
This brownie is fudgy, chocolaty and can very easily be made vegan.
The ingredient list is short and is composed of basic pantry items that most of you should have at home.
- Cocoa Powder
- Oil (or butter)
- Milk (or non-dairy alternative)
- Optional: Chocolate chips, Flaky sea salt
How to make a brownie in a mug:
- Make sure you are using a large enough mug. Your mug should be a minimum of 10 oz, but 12 oz mugs work best.
- First measure out your dry ingredients directly into the mug. Use the same measuring spoon for all the ingredients to save on clean up at the end.
- Now be sure to mix the dry ingredients well. You can use a fork or a mini whisk if you have. You want to be sure all the ingredients are completely combined before adding the wet ingredients.
- Next you’ll add your milk and oil (or butter) and mix well.
- If you are using chocolate chips you can add them now. I like to keep them all at the top for a melty chocolaty layer that is kind of like a frosting. But you can mix them in if you want those extra pockets of chocolate in every bite.
- Place the mug in the microwave for 1 minute. Take it out carefully (the mug may be hot) and check to top. If you see it is a little wet on top return to the microwave for 30 more seconds.
- Take it out and enjoy! It’s especially delicious with a scoop of ice cream or some whipped cream on top.
How to make this Brownie in a Mug Vegan:
This recipe can be made vegan or not very easily. For a vegan version use canola oil in place of the butter and any non-dairy milk alternative of your choice in place of milk.
In this recipe I added chocolate chips to the brownie batter before baking but you can use your imagination and add in other fun things that you like. Here are some ideas:
- White chocolate chunks or chips
- Broken Pretzels for a salty/sweet mix
- Chopped Oreo cookies
- Peanut butter
- Cookie butter
- Chopped nuts of your choice
For more mug cake recipes try these:
How to Make a Brownie in a Mug
- Large mug
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 3 Tbsp flour
- pinch salt
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 ½ Tbsp canola oil or butter
- 3 Tbsp milk or non-dairy alternative
- chocolate chips
- Flaky sea salt
- Place sugar, flour, salt and cocoa in a large mug and mix with a fork.
- Add in oil and milk and mix well to combine.
- If using, top the brownie mixture with some chocolate chips or other add-ins and mix in.
- Place mug in the microwave for 1 minute.
- Remove from microwave and top with some flaky sea salt if using.