You are only 20 minutes away from these delicious Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies! One bowl, pantry ingredients and enough for some now and some later 😉 make the perfect recipe.
Why you should make these Easy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies:
These cookies are so simple to make! Just mix the ingredients together in one bowl and bake. Even if you aren’t a “baker” you can have great success with these.
You should make these oatmeal cookies because they are a great alternative to regular chocolate chip cookies. Oatmeal adds lots of texture and flavor to the classic.
I love that you can make these cookies your own by choosing what add-ins to use. Check out the variations below for some creative ideas.
Can you freeze these cookies?
Yes! There are 2 great ways to freeze these oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. They both work well, but I’ll tell you my favorite way below.
The first method is to freeze the finished cookies. Once they have cooled, place them in a ziplock bag or an airtight container and freeze. They will stay good like this for up to 2 months (but probably will be finished way before 😂!
The second method and my personal favorite, is to freeze the cookie dough raw and bake as needed. Roll the cookie dough into a log and wrap it in cling wrap or tin foil. Freeze for up to 6 months. Whenever you are in a cookie mood or all of a sudden have guests at your door, just take the roll out of the freezer, slice and bake as instructed in the recipe.
What ingredients do you need for these easy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies?
- Oil, I use canola but you can use coconut oil instead
- White sugar
- Brown sugar, I used dark brown sugar, but you can use light as well, as long as it’s packed
- Flour, I use unbleached all purpose flour, but you can substitute it for white spelt flour.
- Baking Soda
- Oats, here I used Quaker Quick Oats. I like quick or instant oats for this recipe because they are softer, but if you want to use Steel Cut or Whole Oats just add a little time to the baking.
- Chocolate Chips, here you have room for creativity! See below for add in ideas if you want to change things up.
How to make this Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe:
- First step in making these cookies is to mix together the oil and sugars, those should be well combined before moving on to the next step.
- Then we add the egg and vanilla and incorporate well.
- Next is the dry ingredients, flour, baking soda and salt, mix these in just until it’s all combined.
- Lastly we fold in the oats and chocolate chips making sure it’s all evenly distributed, you want some chocolate in every bite!
- Scoop the cookie dough onto a prepared baking sheet using a medium or small size cookie scoop.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven for 10-12 minutes. When it comes out of the oven let the cookies set for 5 minutes on the baking sheet before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Feel free to sprinkle some flaky Maldon salt on the tops of the cookies.
Variations to these Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
To be completely honest, I very much dislike raisins and you won’t ever find raisins in any of my recipes – that’s a guarantee 😅!
But, I do know that while chocolate chips are a timely classic, it’s fun to change things up once in a while. So here I’m listing a few creative add in’s you can use instead of chocolate chips in these easy oatmeal cookies:
- Raisins (if you’re not opposed like I am ;))
- White chocolate chips
- Chopped walnuts
- Oreo Cookies, chopped
- Chocolate chunks
- Milk chocolate bar, chopped
- Mix and match the above
Can you eat these Oatmeal Cookies for breakfast?
Don’t let me stop you! I believe cookies are the perfect breakfast food with a hot cup of coffee. Plus, these have oatmeal in them and that’s a breakfast food! So, yes, according to me, you can most certainly eat these cookies for breakfast – just be sure to invite me!
Try these other easy recipes:
I love when you try my recipes! Please rate this recipe and let me know how you liked it in the comments below.
Easy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Large Mixing Bowl
- 6 Tbsp canola oil
- 6 Tbsp white sugar
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 L egg
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1½ cup quick/instant oats
- ½-¾ cup chocolate chips
- Maldon salt optional
- Pre-heat oven to 350°. Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk together oil and sugars.
- Add egg and vanilla and whisk well.
- Fold in the flour, baking soda and salt until all combined.
- Add oats and chocolate chips and mix well.
- Scoop cookies onto the prepared baking sheet with 2 inches space all around each cookie.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until top is golden. Let rest on baking sheet for 5 minutes before moving to a cooling rack.
- Sprinkle with flaky Maldon salt, if using.
- chopped nuts
- white chocolate chips