It’s Banana Bread, but better, because chocolate makes everything better, right? My kids were skeptical. They said, does chocolate go with bananas? And I had them all convinced within one bite.
We’re just coming out of our second lockdown and I know a lot of places in the world are going into lockdown too. And if quarantine has been represented by anything from the first time around it’s banana bread. So for a little upgrade, let’s make this rounds BB double chocolate!
What is double chocolate banana bread?
I don’t know about you, but for me, adding chocolate to almost anything is ALWAYS a good idea. My family loves Classic Banana Bread, and Banana Blueberry Bread, so I thought, why not add chocolate to our favorite Banana bakes?!
Adding cocoa powder as well as lots of chocolate chips to the batter take this classic recipe to a whole new level.
What ingredients do you need for this recipe?
I love this recipe because it can be made with basic pantry staples.
- Ripe bananas
- Vegetable oil, I used canola
- Vanilla extract
- All purpose flour
- Cocoa powder
- Baking powder
- Instant coffee
- Boiling water
- Chocolate chips
How to make double chocolate banana bread:
This recipe comes together super easily in just a few quick steps. The hardest part of this recipe is waiting for it to bake in the oven!
- First whisk oil, sugar, egg and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Then add in mashed bananas and mix to combine.
- Fold in flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder.
- Next, pour in the dissolved coffee and mix.
- Mix in most of the chocolate chips.
- Pour mixture into a loaf pan and top with remaining chocolate chips.
- Bake and Enjoy!!
Can banana bread be made into muffins?
Yes! This chocolate banana bread recipe works great as muffins. The only change you need to make is to adjust the baking time to about 20-30 minutes.
Can chocolate banana bread be frozen?
Absolutely! I love freezing this banana bread because it stays fresh in the freezer for a long time (up to 6 months). When defrosting, slice and place in the microwave for 10-15 seconds to warm up, it will taste like it’s straight from the oven!
Can you eat Double Chocolate Banana Bread for breakfast?
Ummm… if you ask me, then I say OF COURSE, WHY NOT?! There are bananas in there, so I say it’s a great breakfast, especially slathered in butter with a hot cup of coffee.
You may also like these recipes:
I love when you try my recipes! Please rate this recipe and let me know how you liked it in the comments below.
Double Chocolate Banana Bread
- Loaf Pan
- 3 ripe bananas mashed
- ⅓ cup oil
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp instant coffee granules dissolved in
- ¼ cup boiling water
- 1 cup chocolate chips divided
- Preheat the oven to 350℉/180℃.
- Prepare a loaf pan lined with baking paper.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk oil, sugar, egg and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Add in mashed bananas and mix to combine.
- Using a spatula fold in flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder.
- When all combined pour in the dissolved coffee and mix.
- Mix in about ¾ cup of the chocolate chips.
- Pour mixture into the prepared loaf pan and top with remaining chocolate chips.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.