Cinnamon sugar donuts are one of my favorite comfort foods, but I (almost) never want to stand over the stove deep frying donuts… so, I tried this donut muffins recipe and they were perfect! The fluffy inside and buttery cinnamon sugar top mimic the original donuts and you (almost!) can’t tell the difference.
What are donut muffins?
Donut muffins are really just a muffin disguised as a donut! It’s a shortcut to making donuts, which is a long and tedious process. Of course, if I’m honest with myself, I would have to admit that donut muffins are not quite the same as actual donuts… but they do come close!
Ingredients for this Cinnamon Sugar Donut Muffins recipe:
You can easily make this recipe with ingredients you have on hand. You can make the recipe non-dairy with a few simple adjustments.
- Milk (or non-dairy milk such as almond milk, soy milk etc)
- Vinegar, to create homemade buttermilk
- Oil, I used Sunflower oil, but Canola works well
- White Sugar, you can also use a mix of white and brown
- Baking Powder
- Nutmeg, this is optional but it adds a nice depth of flavor
- Butter for topping, you can use non-dairy butter as well
How to make this recipe:
Follow these super simple steps and you’ll have these donut muffins in under 30 minutes from start to finish!
- First we create our own homemade buttermilk by mixing milk with vinegar and letting it sit for a few minutes.
- Then mix together the wet ingredients.
- And add the dry ingredients to combine.
- Bake in a mini muffin tin for just 10 minutes.
- Once the donut muffins are slightly cooled, dip the tops in melted butter and cinnamon sugar.
Can you freeze Donut Muffins?
Yes! These donut muffins freeze beautifully. If making them ahead of time, I recommend putting them in a ziplock bag or airtight container and freezing.
When ready to eat, remove them from the freezer about an hour in advance to defrost and pop them in the microwave for 10 seconds to warm up.
More recipes like this:
Did you try this recipe?
I’d love to hear what you think when you try my recipes! Please rate this recipe and leave a comment 🙌🏻
- Mini Muffin Tin
- ¾ cup milk or non dairy alternative such as almond milk
- ½ tsp white vinegar
- 1 L egg
- ¼ cup sunflower oil or canola oil
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg optional
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 Tablespoons butter melted
Bake Donut Muffins
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F (180° C).
- In a small bowl, or glass measuring cup mix milk with vinegar. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk oil, egg, sugar and vanilla together until light and fluffy.
- Add in the milk mixture and whisk some more.
- Stir in dry ingredients and mix with a spatula until JUST combined, don't over mix.
- Generously spray mini muffin tin with non-stick spray.
- Using a cookie scoop or quarter cup measuring cup scoop muffin batter into prepared tin.
- bake for 10-12 minutes until the center is set (not jiggling). Let cool for about 5-10 minutes.
Top the donut muffins
- In a small bowl mix sugar and cinnamon.
- Gently remove donut muffins from tin and dip the tops into the melted butter and then directly into the cinnamon sugar mix.