My grandmother, Abuela, would make these chocolate rolls for her kids every day and as a sweet surprised she would put a square of chocolate in the middle.
I adapted my Abuela’s original recipe and make it for my kids, which is so cool. Back when the kids were still going to school (pre-pandemic) they would take one or 2 of these rolls for their mid morning school snack.
I love how easy this dough is and there is minimal rising time, which means it’s quick and so simple.
What are bollitos de pan?
My Moroccan grandmother called these rolls bollitos de pan in Spanish. These are soft dinner rolls that my grandmother would stuff with chocolate. They are so quick and easy to make and the dough is a dream to work with.
Great for an afternoon snack or a lunch for school.
What pan should you use to make these chocolate rolls?
What ingredients do you need to make this recipe?
You most likely have everything you need for this recipe already in your pantry!
- All purpose flour
- Canola oil
- Chocolate bar
- Coarse sugar (optional)
How to make chocolate rolls?
Follow these easy steps to make your very own chocolate rolls:
- First mix your yeast with water and sugar.
- Add in oil and egg and then flour and salt.
- Knead the dough for a few minutes until smooth.
- Divide the dough into 12 even balls.
- Flatten each ball and fill with chocolate.
- Place dough balls into the pan and let rise.
- Top with egg wash and coarse sugar.
- Bake and enjoy!
Can you freeze chocolate rolls?
Yes! This recipe freezes really well. I recommend separating the rolls and freezing them in a large ziplock bag. This way, in the morning the kids can take them out of the freezer and heat them up in the oven as well as pack them up for school.
Love this recipe? Try some of these others:
Another one of my grandmothers recipes, these Binuelos are the best!
Did you try this recipe?
I LOVE to hear what you think of my recipes! It would mean so much to me if you could rate this recipe below and leave a comment or share with your friends ❤ Thanks for being here!
You can also find my here on Instagram.
Chocolate Rolls (bollitos de pan)
- Loaf Pan
- Stand mixer (optional)
- 1 cup warm water or apple juice
- 2 Tablespoons instant yeast
- 3 Tablespoons white sugar
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 3½ – 4 cups all purpose flour
- 150 grams milk chocolate (1½ bars)
- 1 egg yolk for brushing
- 2-3 Tablespoons coarse sugar
- In the bowl of a stand mixer beat together water, yeast and sugar.
- Add oil and egg, and gradually add flour and then the salt.
- Knead for 3-5 minutes, add flour as needed.
- Divide the dough into 12 small balls, approximately 85grams each.
- Flatten each ball and place 2 cubes of chocolate into the center of the ball and roll up.
- Place the balls into the loaf pan seam side down.
- Cover with a towel and let the dough rise for about 20-30 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- In a small bowl mix egg yolk with a little bit of water and brush on top of the bread.
- Sprinkle top with coarse sugar.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes until the top is golden brown.