This delicious banana blueberry bread is easier to bake than you think. One bowl, pantry ingredients and about a little over an hour (including baking time!) is all you need.
If you don’t like bananas and are about to skip this post, let me just tell you, my husband is an avid banana hater! He can’t stand the smell, taste or texture and absolutely refuses to touch them. But, once I tricked him into having a slice of this banana blueberry bread recipe and he LOVED it! He swears he can’t taste the banana 🤷♀️.
Why you should make this banana blueberry bread recipe:
These long days of quarantine have got everyone in their kitchens baking up a storm and banana bread is having a moment. If a trend sounds delicious enough, you can bet I’ll going along with it, and you should too.
This banana blueberry bread is so easy to make! The whole recipe prep will take you less than 15 minutes and just for the heavenly smell that will fill your house when it’s baking it’s worth it!
How to freeze Banana Blueberry Bread:
This recipe freezes beautifully and with just a few seconds in the microwave it will taste perfectly fresh out of the oven!
The best way to freeze this banana blueberry bread is to wrap it well in cling wrap and then seal it in a zip top freezer bag. These 2 steps ensure the bread keeps in all the moisture and stays fresh for a long time.
You can keep it in the freezer for up to 6 weeks.
- Ripe Bananas
- Softened butter
- Flour, I used white spelt, but all-purpose works well too
- Baking soda
- Sour cream
- Frozen Blueberries
How to make Banana Blueberry Bread:
- Start by pre-heating your oven to 350 degrees and lining a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Make sure your butter is soft – leave on the counter for a few hours in advance. And mash your bananas with a fork on a paper plate.
- Whisk together the butter, sugar and eggs, the mixture should be light and creamy.
- Add the mashed bananas, sour cream and vanilla extract and mix well.
- Now we add the dry ingredients and be careful not to over mix. Flour, baking soda and salt.
- Fold in the blueberries very gently so that the batter doesn’t turn purple.
- Pour batter into lined loaf pan and bake for about an hour.
- Test if the banana blueberry bread is ready by inserting a long toothpick into the center of the loaf. If it comes out clean it’s ready but if there is some batter on the toothpick return the pan to the oven for another 5 minutes and check again.
- Let cool a little and serve warm with some butter.
Make these into muffins:
I originally created this recipe as banana blueberry muffins. At the beginning of the month I’d double the recipe and fill up the freezer with muffins.
They are great for packed lunches (whenever we go back to school!) and so easy for the kids to just grab from the freezer whenever they wanted a snack.
To make this recipe into muffins just bake in a muffin tin with paper liners for 25-30 minutes.
Variations to this banana blueberry bread recipe:
If you don’t have blueberries you can replace them with a filling of your choice. Try chocolate chips, chopped nuts or even leave it plain.
I used white spelt flour in this recipe, but you can replace that with all purpose flour or a mix of half all purpose and half whole wheat flour.
This recipe works great in muffin form as well! See above for instructions.
For other Banana Bread Recipes check these out:
For more easy recipes check these out:
Banana Blueberry Bread Recipe
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Loaf Pan
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 L eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 ripe bananas mashed
- 2 cups white spelt flour can use all purpose
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 banana sliced lengthwise
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl whisk butter, sugar and eggs together until smooth and creamy.
- Add sour cream and mashed bananas, whisk to combine.
- Mix in flour, baking soda and salt, stir until just combined.
- Gently fold in frozen blueberries.
- Pour into prepared loaf pan and top with sliced banana.
- Bake for 1 hour or until toothpick entered into the center of the loaf comes out clean.